I don’t usually do this kind of post but I thought it might be fun for a change! Stuck for what to buy the contemporary art fan in your life this Christmas? Fear not: the Follow the Yellow Christmas gift guide is here with some handy art-related gift ideas:
1. Take your style inspiration from Salvador Dali with this moustache necklace from ace jewellers Tatty Devine. Don’t worry if you’re not a Dali fan: they also have a Gilbert and George necklace inspired by that classic art gallery essential, the black-framed glasses.
2. Brighten up the home with some loveliness from designer Donna Wilson, who had a solo exhibition at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park this year. I particularly like this amazing badger cushion.
3. I love the Topshop make-up range: there’s something about the scribbly packaging and rainbow colours that makes it feel like a selection of art materials for your face. Give some of their bright nail polishes for a touch of winter brightness.
4. The perfect 2012 diary for illustration fans, the beautiful cloth-bound Frankie Diary features lovely artwork by Amy Borrell. Bonus cool points because you have to order it online, from Australia.
5. These Lazy Oaf badges from the Tate shop make a fun stocking filler.
6. Every gallery-goer needs a beret. As well as making you look all French and insouciant, your head will stay warm! This leopard print one is from Topshop.
7. Sharpies! Buy them in lots of colours and scribble on anything and everything.
8. A colourful satchel is the perfect accessory for toting your art supplies from place to place. This classic version is from the Cambridge Satchel Company: they do them in a brilliant range of colours, but for me it’s always about the RED ONE.
9. Let’s Make Some Great Art, created by illustrator Marion Deuchars, is a fun interactive book packed with drawings and activities to help spark your creative imagination. Complete the Mona Lisa’s smile or design your own Jackson Pollock inspired artwork. Perfect for aspiring artists of all ages.
10. If you’re really stuck for ideas, then membership to a favourite gallery makes a great gift for any art fan. This membership pack from Tate gives the recipient unlimited free entry to all exhibitions, a subscription to Tate Etc magazine, access to special members rooms, and special viewing opportunities – and it all comes in a cool box designed by artist Fiona Rae.